The Patrol Section is the heart of the Law Enforcement Bureau of the El Paso County Sheriff's Office, which is guided by the Community Oriented Policing (C.O.P.) philosophy. C.O.P is not a special program or unit, but a universal philosophy, which brings our community together. It is a proactive problem solving approach to law enforcement intended to increase the quality of life for citizens in the community by reducing crime. C.O.P. is accomplished by providing community based law enforcement services through the application of proactive and preventive enforcement strategies derived from partnerships within the community. It promotes the building of trusting relationships between the law enforcement officers and the community they serve. This helps to solve the problems that cause crime by working with agencies, organizations, businesses, and the citizens within the community to identify problems which may not be readily apparent to the law enforcement officer.
The Patrol Section provides continuous available units to:
- Respond to calls for service
- Deter crimes by visible patrol
- Detect, apprehend, and process persons involved in criminal activity
- Recover and return lost or stolen property
- Ensure the safe movement of vehicular and pedestrian traffic
- Provided follow-up investigation of offenses when warranted by time or circumstances
- Reduce both immediate and potential hazards to the community
- Work directly with individual citizens and citizen groups, such as Neighborhood Watch groups, to exchange information and crime prevention advice
Patrol Section personnel are divided into three shifts. Each shift is directed by a lieutenant and four sergeants. Deputy positions are balanced between all three shifts based upon the needs of the community.
| Contact Information:|
Day Shift (Shift 2)
Lieutenant Brian Mattson
Phone: (719) 520-7137
6:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Swing Shift (Shift 3)
Lieutenant J.D. Ross
Phone: (719) 520-7191
3:00 PM to 1:00 AM
Midnight Shift (Shift 1)
Lieutenant Rick McMorran
Phone: (719) 520-7161
9:00 PM to 7:30 AM
Interested in our Ride Along Program?
Click here to find out more: Ride Along Program.
To find out more about the Patrol Section, click on any of the links located below.