Concealed Handgun Permit
The El Paso County Sheriff's Office is pleased to provide you with the following information in order to assist you with the Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) application process. On this page you will find the following information to guide you: application, information packet, required fees, procedures and guidelines for the program. The El Paso County Sheriff's Office Concealed Handgun Program complies with Colorado Revised Statutes regarding concealed handgun permits. (Colorado Revised Statutes 18-12-203 through 18-12-207)
*All Concealed Handgun Permits with Sheriff Maketa’s signature are still valid until the expiration date. If you would like a new permit with Sheriff Elder’s signature on it, please call 719-520-7249.*
CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMITS ARE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
To your scheduled appointment, please bring:
- The completed unsigned two page application. If the application is not fully completed, it cannot be processed. You will need to sign the completed permit application in person, before a notary public at the Sheriff’s Office; upon a sworn oath that the applicant knows the contents of the permit application and that the information contained in the permit application is true and correct.
Colorado Drivers License or State ID
$112.50 payable by CASH (exact change REQUIRED, the Sheriff's Office cannot make change), PERSONAL CHECK*, MONEY ORDER*, or CASHIER’S CHECK*; non-cash payments are made payable to E.P.S.O. or El Paso County Sheriff’s Office. This includes the fee for the background, fingerprint check (CBI Cost) and the processing fee for the El Paso County Sheriff's Office.
Your original certificate of firearms training issued within the last ten years. Acceptable firearms training includes: NRA, proof of organized shooting competitions, DD2-14, or PCS Orders. Online training classes and hunter safety courses will not be accepted.
Your initial appointment will take approximately 30 minutes. At that time, your application will be reviewed, a photo and signature will be obtained, the fees will be collected and your fingerprints will be taken.
By appointment only - Please call 520-7249 to schedule an appointment.
El Paso County Sheriff's Office
Concealed Handgun Program
27 East Vermijo Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
email@example.com - Note: No appointments will be scheduled through this email address. Please call (719) 520-7249 to schedule your appointment.
An applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be 21 years of age or older at the time of the application
- Be a resident of El Paso County (active military stationed in El Paso County qualify as residents with a Military ID and PCS Orders)
- Provide a valid Colorado Driver's License or Colorado ID or a Military ID and PCS orders
- Submit proof of firearms training within the last ten years
- Successfully complete a background investigation
Firearms Training Requirements
The applicant must submit with the application the original certificate or a photocopy of the certificate with the instructors original signature, affidavit, or other document from the instructor, school, club, business, organization, or group that conducted or taught the course or class, attesting to the successful completion of the training. All documentation must have been obtained within the 10 years preceding submittal of the application.
The applicant demonstrates competence with a handgun by submitting any of the following:
- Evidence of experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competitions or current military service;
- Evidence that, at the time the application is submitted, the applicant is a certified instructor;
- Proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the United States Armed Forces within the three years preceding submittal of the application;
- Proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the United States Armed Forces that reflects pistol qualifications obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application;
- A certificate showing retirement from a Colorado law enforcement agency that reflects pistol qualifications obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application;
- A training certificate from a handgun training class obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application. The applicant shall submit the original training certificate or a photocopy thereof that includes the original signature of the class instructor. To the extent permitted by section 18-12-202 (5), in obtaining a training certificate from a handgun training class, the applicant shall have discretion in selecting which handgun training class to complete.